October 7, 2009

Professional Do-Gooder

Day two of K's return to employment-land and everything is still going well.  Apart from a nagging cold that has been threatening to erupt for the last few weeks and will not go away (think perma-sniffles), everything is great!

I am now the proud holder of the title of "Dublin's Craziest Commute" - in part due to the fact that while I'm working The New Job, I'm also still volunteering at The Volunt-work until the end of November.  Commute goes something like this:

7.30am - stumble out of bed, make coffee, pack lunch, brush teeth, etc
8.10am - catch the bus in to town (rush hour, so a normally 10 minute bus trip takes about 30 minutes)
8.40am - begin walk from city centre to The New Office
9.00am - arrive at The New Office, finish coffee (now cold), make new coffee (sadly instant)
1.00pm - bid farewell to The New Work, begin walk to Luas
1.20pm - just miss Luas, wait 5 minutes for the next one
1.45pm - arrive at The Volunt-work, eat lunch
5.30pm - Luas back in to town
6.00pm - meet up with B, head to the bus (possibly grabbing dinner supplies en route)
7.00pm - having missed relevant bus, getting stuck in traffic due to accident on Quays, arrive home to make dinner

Yay a 12 hour day!  But hey, all that walking will whip me into shape for the wedding(s) next year!

Actually I'm loving every minute of it.  I love what I do.  That's why, in the lead-up to starting The New Job, I was a bit intimidated.  What do you do when everything you've worked so hard for pays off and you land your dream job?  It's fairly intimidating, but also hugely exciting.  I can plan any projects I want!  These people think I have good ideas!  Good ideas that will likely be implemented!

To bring myself back down to earth... my first day yesterday involved cleaning.  The New Office was damaged by floods this summer, and so myself, CEO and Board Member 1 spent the morning going through boxes of mouldy, mildewy papers.  All morning.  Not an auspicious start, but I figure things can only get better.  And today was better.  I have a functioning computer!  (not the case yesterday)  I have a spiffy new email address!  (again, not the case yesterday)  I will have business cards for the first time in my adult working life!  Okay, so that's kind of a lame thing to get excited about...

But I like feeling that I'm helping to make a difference.  And I am.  And I hope you'll all help me!

No comments: