September 28, 2008

100 Things About Me

...because everyone else seems to have done it, because I'm home alone and it's Sunday afternoon (edit - it took longer than I thought, it's now Monday afternoon), I've cleaned the apartment top to bottom and now I'm bored... I give you my 100 Things About Me:

1. My name is Kirsten, or sometimes just K
2. Nobody calls me Kirsty except my family (and my hairdresser)
3. I've got one little brother
4. He's been taller than me most of our lives
5. In fact, most people think he's older than me
6. I look a lot younger than I am
7. This has led to me being IDed at bars (frequently)
8. And once when I tried to buy "A Very Long Engagement" from Wal-Mart
9. I live in Dublin, Ireland
10. But I'm originally from Vancouver, BC
11. I've also lived in Herstmonceux, England
12. And Newcastle-Under-Lyme, near Stoke-on-Trent, England
13. Until last year I hadn't lived anywhere for more than a year since I was 17
14. Needless to say, the thought of settling down can still freak me out
15. I've travelled quite a bit, including Japan, France, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, Andorra, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, the UK and Ireland
16. I currently have no free pages left in my passport
17. I am inordinately proud of that fact, even if it drives immigration officials mad
18. I have what Dave Gorman calls "Wandering Accent Syndrome"
19. This means if I'm in a place long enough I will start to sound like the locals
20. I have learned to use this to my advantage, especially with Dublin taxi drivers, who tend to overcharge you if you sound like a tourist
21. Despite living in Ireland, I gave up drinking (alcohol) last October
22. For a while everyone thought I was pregnant
23. I'm not pregnant
24. I just don't enjoy being drunk
25. I'd rather save my money and watch everyone else get drunk instead
26. Based on past experiences, I may have had one of the less spectacular love lives out there
27. Until now, that is
28. My boyfriend, B is fantastic, amazing and incredibly supportive and patient
29. Which is extremely important, because I can sometimes be quite difficult
30. This comes from a pretty strong independent streak that I've been proud of my whole life
31. I sometimes think I'm not the best girlfriend
32. But then I think I must be doing something right!
33. B and I both work worked for the same NGO (edit: I got laid off at the end of October 2008 - hooray for unemployment!)
34. I initially thought this would cause more problems than it has
35. He used to be my boss when I was an intern
36. I thought it was funny to refer to him as "Mr Clinton"... for obvious reasons
37. I have a lot of food allergies - but the worst ones are fish and nuts
38. Most of them I discovered the hard way
39. I get annoyed when healthy eating guides tell you to eat fish and nuts as they are good for you
40. My favourite type of food is Japanese
41. The irony that I love sushi but am allergic to fish has not escaped me, but many places in Vancouver do excellent veggie options
42. I'm currently being very careful with what I eat
43. This is because I thought I had a peptic ulcer earlier this year
44. The doctors say it's just damage from acid reflux
45. I get to take really strong acid blocking tablets
46. I hate being on pills of any description
47. I'd rather find dietary changes or natural alternatives
48. I'm really interested in alternative medicine
49. Especially Ayurveda - I think it's fascinating
50. Lately I've also been interested in conspiracy theories
51. Not in an "I think everyone is out to get me" kind of way, more a general interest in what people think and why
52. The same goes for my interest in religions - not a believer as such, just curious as to what people think and believe
53. I did ballet for 13 years of my life, from age 3-16
54. I also did tap, jazz, and classical Chinese dance
55. I quit because I was scared of the pressure to become anorexic, which hit some of the girls I was close to in my dance class
56. Some days I regret giving it up
57. I have been referred to as a Grammar Vigilante
58. Even though sometimes I slip up and make my own mistakes
59. Like the fact that most of this list is made up of sentence fragments! Ha ha.
60. I sometimes think I'd like to become vegan
61. But I don't know if I could live without cheese
62. My lifelong dream is to visit every single country in the world
63. My next "to visit" countries are mostly in the Middle East
64. Which is kind of intimidating, but also exciting
65. I'd also like to learn to ride a motorcycle
66. This is mostly so I can copy Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's "Long Way Down"
67. I love watching horror films, especially Japanese ones
68. My favourite film of all time is Life is Beautiful
69. I don't really have a favourite type of music
70. But I love to sing
71. I will not sing in front of people, unless it's something cheesy like karaoke
72. I'm always surprised when people say they want to hear me sing, or catch me singing and tell me I'm good
73. The person I would most like to be like is my grandfather
74. I can be strangely old fashioned
75. For example, I love to cook, I'd like to learn how to make jam, and can fruits and vegetables, I like to scrapbook, etc
76. I love reading Martha Stewart Living magazine
77. I don't readily admit that, since it usually results in massive teasing
78. The teasing usually stops when I make amazing dinners
79. Some days I think I'd like to pack in my life and go and live and work on my grandfather's orchard
80. I'd like to turn the house there into a B&B
81. I often don't understand why people sometimes think my life is so exciting
82. I am terrified of leeches
83. And being buried alive
84. I can't even watch films where a character is buried alive - I have to leave the room
85. I only have a fear of heights when I'm in a high building
86. This means I can go rock climbing, skydiving, bungee jumping, etc and be (almost) totally fine, but if I look down from a high window (in a hotel or office building, for example) I will freak out
87. I miss having pets
88. I had a combined total of 3 cats, a budgie, an iguana and some fish as pets (not at the same time though)
89. Even though I was allergic to cats and birds
90. I'd definitely get a rescue cat if I could
91. I still get giggly and childishly happy when it snows
92. Gerbera Daisies are my favourite flower
93. I feel slightly agoraphobic if I'm not surrounded by mountains
94. My favourite place in the whole world is Whytecliff Park in West Vancouver
95. I like the feeling of isolation and remoteness I get there, even when there are 100 other people there at the same time
96. I often wish that all my close friends were really close by, instead of spread out across the world
97. But I also know how lucky I am to have good friends that remain good friends no matter where in the world we are
98. Some days I really want to make a difference
99. But then I think that just by being me, and interacting with people, and being nice, can sometimes make all the difference in the world
100. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post :) I love you and your sentence fragments!