June 18, 2009

Why me?

So despite a pretty awesome day overall, this evening I had an unfortunate reminder of why I sometimes hate this city.

I got robbed. Again. And I'm getting pretty sick of it, to be honest.

It's not that I'm careless with my personal possessions. Hardly. There is a part of me that is entirely made up of my mother's DNA and means that if anyone even so much as LOOKS at my bag I immediately picture them as a potential purse-snatcher. Overreaction? Perhaps.

And I know it's not Dublin's fault that I got robbed. I mean people get robbed every day in cities all over the world. It just so happens that the only 2 times in my life that I've had my bag stolen have BOTH happened here. Within a few blocks of each other, actually. And so my occasionally rose-tinted view of my adopted hometown is... a bit skewed... to the point that I'm once again forced to view each and every member of the general public as a potential purse-snatcher.

The compassionate Buddhist in me is gonna have to take a backseat for a few days.

It's just... it's such a violation of my personal space! I mean okay, I have always been lucky and gotten my purse back, which is more than most victims can say. This time the helpful manager and security people at McDonald's (yes... I got robbed at McDonald's... please spare me your ridicule for the moment) checked the CCTV footage immediately and noticed the girl in question go into the women's bathroom, where they found my bag, intact but missing €50. I know it could have been worse. Much worse! I was envisioning frantic calls to cancel all my various cards, having to pay to get IDs reissued, new student cards, etc... all with money that I don't have.

Apparently purse-snatchers do not take your employment and/or financial status into account when choosing you as a victim. Maybe I look too well-off.

Note to self - work on the "I'm unemployed, can't go on welfare and have no money" look.

1 comment:

Mel said...

*hug* Aw, that really sucks!

Time to bring the fanny pack back into fashion...or perhaps design some kind of comfortable, sexy money belt ;)