May 27, 2009

Sleep Deprivation = Cranky K

For those of you following me on Twitter, you may be aware that I am currently having "issues" with Irish Rail / Iarnrod Eireann. Might I just add... "issues" is a serious understatement.

Here's the thing. I like sleep. I am a huge fan of sleeping. I am a much better, much nicer and kinder person when allowed to get my (at least) 8 hours solid, uninterrupted sleep.

And yes, I was aware, when we moved into our apartment over a year ago, that it was right beside the train lines. I have learned to sleep through trains going back and forth at all hours of the day and night... so much so that I don't even notice them anymore. That is, apart from the one engine that insists on spewing noxious clouds of grey horribleness every time it goes by. That one I can live without. But that's another story.

Here's what I can't handle. Every night since Saturday, Irish Rail has decided to undertake serious maintenance work on the lines outside the apartment. Now I get that they have to wait until the trains stop running... I really do. But seriously... Every. Single. Night. from 1.00 - 4.00am I am kept awake by workers yelling, blinding lights, generator engines, and my own personal favourite, the angle-grinder-that-sounds-like-a-chainsaw-in-my-bedroom.

People... this is not okay.

Alright, so I'm unemployed and should theoretically be able to compensate for the sleep deprivation by sleeping in until, say, 3pm. I haven't, though. I have homework, and job applications, and wedding planning, and apartment cleaning and, most importantly, a 9am job interview this morning, at which I had to appear bright-eyed and bushy-tailed DESPITE ONLY HAVING 3 HOURS' SLEEP!!

So far my strongly worded emails to Irish Rail / Iarnrod Eireann have gone unanswered. I am wholly unimpressed with this situation, and am giving serious consideration to the idea of writing to them again and suggesting they use this sleep deprivation technique at Guantanamo Bay. That is how effective it is.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

No comments: