March 5, 2009

What's Next, Universe?

First it was the mysterious stomach ailment.

Then it was getting laid off during a recession.

Now, evidently... I have gout. Kudos to Mel and my mom for the initial diagnosis, by the way! :)

Yes, after a few excruciatingly painful nights where my toe felt like it was being stabbed repeatedly with a searing hot knife, I finally rang the on-call doctor for an emergency housecall at 6am yesterday morning. He arrived 3 hours later (you wouldn't want to be dying!) and shot me full of painkillers and anti-inflammatories, and suggested I stay pretty much horizontal for a while.

Sigh.

So here I am... still on the couch. The sun is shining, barely a cloud in the sky, and the furthest I've moved since Sunday is downstairs to the mailbox. The anti-inflammatories are making me nauseous, but they seem to be working since I had a good night's sleep last night, so I can't complain too much.

This was supposed to be the week that I landed a job... that I went to the bank... that I finally sorted out my passport renewal application... gah. I'm so frustrated it's unbelievable. I'd say "these things happen for a reason", but to be honest, I can't conceive of a plausible reason for someone my age developing such a painful, horrible condition. It really, really sucks.

Any suggestions for how to stave off or alleviate incredible boredom are always appreciated.

Apologies for the rant... I'll be back on form when this heals up... I promise!

No comments: