March 23, 2009

This week's inspirations

I've seen a lot of really inspiring videos lately, and I wanted to be able to share them with everyone (and also keep them in one place for easy access!)

I hope you enjoy them as I have!

The Lost Generation
I admit, when I first watched this I didn't fully understand what was going on. I thought "How bleak and depressing!" but halfway through I finally got it. The video touches on many of the issues that I've come to realise are incredibly important to me - family, friends, experiences... and that I do not want my life to revolve around the quest for money or power.

Great Work
As a follower of David Allen (of Getting Things Done fame) on Twitter, I discovered this short video from one of his tweets. Find Your Great Work is a book by Michael Bungay Stanier, and the video encourages you to be ruthless and persistent to successfully get "great work" in your life. Since becoming unemployed I've alternated between two mindsets: the "sticking to my guns and not compromising my beliefs" model, and the "beggars can't be choosers" model. Ultimately, although the former has yet to pay off, it leaves me determined and positive, as opposed to the latter, which often leaves me in a funk.

Did You Know?
This video came to my attention via an old friend from high school. I must have watched it at least 10 times now, always amazed by the statistics and sheer volume of information they have managed to condense into 5 minutes. It almost makes me want to run away and work on a farm somewhere, whilst reminiscing about the good old days...

What about you? Do you have any videos you find inspiring?

No comments: