April 4, 2009

Blog-a-versary

(photo courtesy of B - they're mini cakes I made for his birthday)

Happy Birthday "Watch This Space"!

I can't believe it's been a whole year since I decided to start this little project of mine. I started WTS as a way of keeping in touch with people back home, and since then it's become a bit of a safe haven where I can vent, or mull things over, or share things about myself and my life.

So much has happened in the past year, and I'm in a completely different space from where I used to be. I moved in with B, and we continue to have a loving, supportive and often challenging relationship (in a good way). I went on holidays to Greece in June, and to Paris in November. I was caught up in the Dublin Floods that marked one of the worst summers (weather-wise) of my life. I lost my job in November and became one of the early casualties of the Irish recession. I've successfully maintained my sanity through 5 months of unemployment. I survived the Snowpocalypse that was Christmas in Vancouver. I became a student again and rediscovered the joys of lifelong learning.

And I've learned so much about myself, particularly over the past 5 months. I've learned that I generally try to put on a brave face and a strong, determined attitude, but that it's okay to let myself slip a bit and cry if I need to. I've learned that I don't have to do everything by myself - that sometimes it's okay to ask for help when things get to be too much. I've rediscovered a love of singing along with cheesy songs on the stereo while cleaning the apartment.

I'm not perfect. I'm only human. But I know that there are friends and family out there who love me and care about me nonetheless.

Thanks to everyone who has followed me this far. If you'd like to come out of Lurk Mode and leave a comment so I know who you are... well... I'd love that too.

2 comments:

Mel said...

A year already...how time files :) *hug* So glad you started blogging!

Su-Lin said...

I will delurk - hello!