I must admit that at this point in time jetlag is wreaking havoc with my system, so I'm afraid a detailed post of "How B and I spent our Christmas vacation" will have to wait, but I promise it will come. With photos.
In the meantime, please enjoy this "End of 2008" survey and my new blog photo, courtesy of B and his fancy new camera. It's from the lake in Osoyoos, BC on a day that was colder than should be felt by a human being. Note to self - must stop taking Canadian vacations in the middle of winter. Too cold.
END OF 2008 SURVEY
What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
I moved out of my old apartment and in to a gorgeous new one with B. I also took him home to Vancouver with me for Christmas (more on that in a future post), and it was amazing.
Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Well thankfully I only got halfway through my 2008 resolution to get some financial responsibility. I did check out my options for creating a savings plan, but now with the recession and overall financial mess of the world, I'm glad I didn't invest in anything! As for this year, my goals are to walk more (aiming for 1.5 hours a day) and get a new job. Hopefully not TOO unreasonable!
Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two of the girls at work, but none of my close friends. Thankfully no one seems to be at that stage yet.
What countries did you visit?
Ireland, Canada, our big holiday to Greece (amazing), and France (only Paris, but also amazing).
What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A job? Okay that's not entirely fair, I only lost my job at the end of October 2008. But still, a new job would be nice. Also, more financial discipline... but I still don't trust those banks.
What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Probably the day of my grandad's funeral. He was an amazing, incredible man and I really missed not being able to see him this past Christmas.
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being okay with being unemployed. I thought I'd go stir-crazy or be dying to get back to work, but it's actually given me the time to think about what I'd really like to get out of life.
What was your biggest failure?
So far? Not being able to find a new job. Although like I said, I'm sort of okay with this, so I don't really consider it a failure.
Did you suffer illness or injury?
A few colds, and the mystery of the recurring stomach problems - hopefully to be resolved once I find out the results of the pH monitoring test I did (see previous post). Should know in February.
What was the best thing you bought?
Not really "things" as such, but our rental car in Greece (so much fun whipping around little Greek mountain roads!) or our cooking class in Paris (learning to cook sinfully delicious desserts in one of the food capitals of the world? Yes please).
Whose behavior merited celebration?
Once again, everyone who has helped me get through the tougher times by having faith in me. You know who you are, and I hope I managed to let you all know how much I appreciate your support. Also B... I don't know what I'd do without you some days. You're too good to me, and I'm so lucky to have you in my life.
Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I suppose they might know who they are... and I wouldn't say "appalled and depressed"... I'd say "extremely disappointed".
Where did most of your money go?
Rent and flights. Same old, same old.
What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our holidays (Greece and Paris), and coming home for Christmas. Being able to show B where I grew up (and also why I get homesick sometimes) meant the world to me.
Compared to this time last year, you are:
a) happier or sadder? Happier in some ways, sadder in others.
b) thinner or fatter? A little bit fatter.
c) richer or poorer? Richer, both financially and spiritually.
What do you wish you'd done more of?
Getting out there. B and I were kind of homebodies in 2008.
What do you wish you'd done less of?
Letting people get to me. It's just not healthy.
How did you spend Christmas?
With B and most of my family up at my Gran's in Oliver, BC. It was perfect.
How did you spend New Years?
Jetlagged (we only got back to Dublin at 7pm on the 31st) and watching the BBC countdown with B, then calling my family to say Happy New Year.
Did you fall in love in 2008?
No, but I'm still in love.
What was your favourite TV programme?
Lost... definitely. Although I also like Fringe.
Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No, I don't really believe in hating people... it's a waste of energy. As with last year I've lost respect for people who have let me down or disappointed me, though.
What was your greatest musical discovery for 2008?
A renewed appreciation for old school legends, like James Brown, Johnny Cash, Stevie Wonder, John Lee Hooker, etc. And the Blues Brothers. That film is amazing.
What did you want and get?
I wanted a career (check, for most of the year, at least!), a work permit (check, came through in January), and a feeling that Dublin is "home" now (check, although I must admit that being home at Christmas has raised interesting new questions).
What was your favourite film of this year?
Wall-E... how cute is that robot? And The Dark Knight. The Joker is the best psychotic villain since Hannibal Lecter.
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 (the big 3-0 looms ever-closer) and went to work, and then out for dinner with B at a cool Japanese grill in Rathmines. B also created "K Week" in which he gave me little presents every day. God I love that boy.
What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not being let go from work. Although even that in its own way has been satisfying...
How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
The "I don't actually like shopping and didn't really buy too many new clothes" Look.
What kept you sane?
Daydreaming.
What political issue stirred you the most?
For most of the year I'd say immigration (it was my job) - but for the last part of 2008 it was elections... mainly the Canadian ones but also the American one.
Who did you miss?
My grandad... and all my friends in Canada that I only ever see once a year.
Who was the best new person you met?
I like everyone I've met this year.
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Never give up.
Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Don't stop me now, cos I'm having a good time"
No comments:
Post a Comment