September 19, 2008

Case of the Blahs

I appreciate the irony of following my last post ("Things that make me happy") with a post about the blahs... but I'm having a bit of a downer day. It's not anything in particular... more like an accumulation of small things over this past week that have finally caught up to me.

The days are getting shorter. Today it was noticeably dark at 7.55pm. I do like the comfortable feeling that winter brings (warm comfort food, the promise of snow, bundling up in the warmest possible clothes) but there is a certain something about grey days followed by long dark nights that can get a person down every now and then.

I think work is getting to me too. On a daily basis I am accosted with generally negative media coverage of my chosen field - a field I believe passionately in - to the point that some days it feels like we are talking to a brick wall. I suppose it would be different if I worked with the clients, who are generally hugely appreciative of the hard work our staff do for them. At any rate, I think I need a holiday. Thank heavens it's Friday and I can have a whole weekend to distract myself with.

And as always, whenever I'm feeling down comes the inevitable homesickness. And it's had a strange trigger this time. Usually it's missing my friends, my family, the people who have known me my whole life... this time it was scrapbooking. Of all things! I realised that I really missed the projects I used to start (and often finish) at home... going to Michaels and stocking up on wonderful, exciting supplies for potential projects. In Dublin I wouldn't have the faintest idea of where to go... and that made me sad.

So... I suppose that's where I am now. B as always is extremely patient and understanding of my "I need to be alone"-ness, and I remind myself constantly how lucky I am to have a partner who is so supportive and caring.

On the plus side, on my lunch break I discovered Caroline's Crayons. She is an amazing woman who uses her drawings to convey incredibly inspiring, uplifting messages. And I love it.

No comments: